3 August 2020
GVC Holdings PLC
("GVC" or the "Group")
GVC Pleased to Support YGAM Parent Hub
GVC Holdings PLC (LSE: GVC), the global sports-betting and gaming group, welcomes the launch of the Young Gamers and Gamblers Education Trust’s (YGAM) Parent Hub, a new portal providing information, activities and support to help parents and carers understand the potential risks associated with gambling and gaming including products such as loot boxes, the digital items that are bought with real world money and contain random items of unknown value. The hub, developed with the help of funding from GVC, has been launched to coincide with schools breaking up for summer.
YGAM is a national charity with a social purpose to inform, educate and safeguard young and vulnerable people, helping them build resilience and understand the potential harms caused by gambling and gaming. With the launch of YGAM’s Parent Hub, the charity aims to:
- Inform parents of ways to build their children’s resilience online and offline, creating a healthy balance and providing resources to help parents engage with their children
- Educate parents around gaming, in-app purchases and gambling, helping them understand the potential harms caused by online play and the blurred lines between gaming and gambling
- Safeguard children through the use of online safety settings and increased awareness of how to stay safe and resilient in their environment
YGAM’s Parent Hub will help build digital resilience and safeguard children online. In addition to providing resources which underpin informed conversations between parents and children, the hub also provides parents with a number of technical, but easily implementable measures. These include:
- Disabling pop-ups
- Enabling in-app and on-device parental controls
- Setting passwords for in-game purchases
- Restricting and disabling in-app purchases
- Setting boundaries – for example by setting a monthly spending limit
The hub has been informed by research conducted in partnership with leading academics from Newcastle and Loughborough Universities to help parents and carers understand why, and control how, their children purchase items like loot boxes. The research was pivotal in formulating YGAM’s recommended measures and will form part of a larger Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)-funded project investigating the blurring between gaming and gambling in digital games.
The new website has received endorsements from parents, teachers, safeguarding officers and the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) who called the resources ‘vitally important’ for parents.
The YGAM Parent Hub can be accessed at www.parents.ygam.org
Grainne Hurst, GVC’s Group Director of Corporate Affairs, commented:
“YGAM is an incredible organisation and its simple, usable resources help parents have honest and open conversations with their children about gaming and gambling. We are delighted to have been able to support its vitally important educative resource hub, which launches at a crucial time, during the summer holidays. GVC’s Changing for the Bettor strategy seeks to advance society’s collective understanding of the risks of problematic gaming and gambling, and we look forward to continuing our support of YGAM’s evidence-led efforts in this area.”
Lee Willows, YGAM’s Founder & Chief Executive, commented:
“GVC are longstanding supporters of YGAM and we are grateful for their support of Parent Hub alongside operators Lottoland and Playtech as a cross-industry initiative. Our vision was to have an up to date, central expert resource library for parents and carers and extend our successful face-to-face directly to parents, with a fully integrated digital offer, which is phase two of this important initiative.”
GVC Holdings plc
Tel: +44 (0) 203 938 0000
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7250 1446
Tel: +44 (0) 7825236188
About GVC Holdings PLC:
GVC Holdings PLC (LSE:GVC) is a FTSE100 company and is one of the world's largest sports-betting and gaming groups, operating both online and in the retail sector. The Group owns a comprehensive portfolio of established brands; Sports Brands include bwin, Coral, Crystalbet, Eurobet, Ladbrokes, Neds and Sportingbet; Gaming Brands include CasinoClub, Foxy Bingo, Gala, Gioco Digitale, partypoker and PartyCasino. The Group owns proprietary technology across all of its core product verticals and in addition to its B2C operations provides services to a number of third-party customers on a B2B basis. The Group has also entered into a joint-venture with MGM Resorts to capitalise on the sports-betting and gaming opportunity in the US. The Group is tax resident in the UK with licenses in more than 20 countries, across five continents.
For more information see the Group's website: www.gvc-plc.com
About Young Gamers & Gamblers Education Trust (YGAM):
- The Young Gamers and Gamblers Education Trust (YGAM) is a national education charity with a social purpose to inform, educate, safeguard and build digital resilience amongst young and vulnerable people, helping them to make informed decisions and understand the consequences around gambling and gaming. Registered Charity number: 1162425
- The charity was set up in 2014, following their founders’ experiences with problem gambling.
- YGAM’s social purpose is guided by and contributes to the Gambling Commissions’ National Strategy to Reducing Gambling Related-Harms.
- It’s education programmes and resources are available to anyone that works with or cares for young & vulnerable people, including teachers, youth workers, community volunteers and mental health specialists.
- YGAM are on the Gambling Commissions published RET list of approved organisations to which gambling companies are permitted to make social responsibility ﬁnancial contributions in order to meet their licence conditions.
For more information see the Charity’s website: www.ygam.org