10 November 2020
UNLV Boyd School of Law to Launch Gaming and Regulatory Online Courses for non-J.D. Professionals Funded by GVC
Gift of $256,000 from GVC Holdings will help develop web-based training programmes taught by industry’s leading legal gaming scholars and executives
LAS VEGAS – The UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law announced today that it will develop an online training program for operators, regulators, lawyers and others who work in and around the worldwide gaming industry. The mostly asynchronous classes, which will launch during the first and second quarters of 2021, will be created and taught by instructors with decades of professional gaming and teaching experience.
The online courses, funded by a gift from the GVC Foundation U.S., will ultimately consist of eight classes designed to prepare professionals to meet the sophisticated regulatory and operating challenges facing the gaming industry. Students are not required to hold a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree or first degree of law required to practice law in international markets in order to enroll.
“UNLV Boyd is located in the international capital of gaming and we are delighted to create this program open to all,” said Daniel W. Hamilton, dean of the UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law. “Thanks to a gift from the GVC Foundation, gaming professionals around the globe can learn from those who are engaged in cutting-edge research on gaming and regulation.”
As gaming continues to expand across the country and throughout the world, there is an increased need for talented and knowledgeable regulatory and operational professionals. These professional programs complement UNLV Boyd’s existing, and extensive, J.D. gaming curriculum as well as its LL.M. in Gaming Law and Regulation.
“The online courses announced by the UNLV William S. Boyd School of law represent another significant step in the law school’s and industry leaders’ ongoing campaign to prepare professionals to navigate the evolving complexities of the U.S. gaming markets,” said Martin Lycka, trustee of the GVC Foundation U.S. “The GVC Foundation U.S. is proud to sponsor this innovative, online program that closely aligns with our Foundation’s focus on responsible gambling, sports integrity and compliance.”
The initial courses to be offered include:
- Introduction to Gaming Law and Regulation taught by Anthony Cabot, Distinguished Fellow in Gaming Law at the UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law.
- Introduction to Gaming Operations taught by Uri Clinton who was formerly the President and Chief Operating Officer of MGM Empire City Casino in New York.
- The Legal and Operational Environment for Sports Betting taught by Keith Miller, Ellis and Nelle Levitt Distinguished Professor of Law at Drake Law School and visiting professor at the UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law.
- Player Accountability and CorporateSocial Responsibility in Gaming Law taught by Alan Feldman, Distinguished Fellow in Responsible Gaming at the International Gaming Institute (IGI) at UNLV and Dayvid Figler, attorney and national expert on where criminal justice and gaming intersect.
- Public Policy and Comparative Study of Gaming Laws and Regulations taught by Simon Planzer, PhD, gaming lawyer and Lecturer in Law at the University of St.Gallen (Switzerland).
Those interested in learning more and enrolling can visit the law school’s website for additional information.
ABOUT UNLV WILLIAM S. BOYD SCHOOL OF LAW
Established in 1998, the William S. Boyd School of Law at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas has nearly 400 students and offers three juris doctor degree programs: a full-time day program, a part-time day program, and a part-time evening program. The school also offers a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Gaming Law and Regulation and three dual degree programs: the J.D./MBA, J.D./M.S.W., and J.D./Ph.D. It is fully accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools. For more information about UNLV Law, please visit law.unlv.edu and stay connected on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
About GVC Foundation US
GVC Foundation U.S. is a first-of-its-kind nonprofit dedicated to promoting responsible gambling, sports integrity and corporate compliance in the U.S. The Foundation was launched by the GVC Global Foundation and GVC Holdings PLC (LSE: GVC), one of the world’s largest sports betting and gaming groups, operating both online and in the retail sector.
Michael Bertetto, UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law
+1 (702) 895-5869
Jay Dossetter / Tessa Curtis
Tel: +44 (0) 203 938 0000